Genetics Division Overview
The Division of Genetics in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology includes a genetic-specialist physician and three genetic counselors, working in collaboration with the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Team.
The Division of Genetics provides the following services:
- Screening for genetic disorders before or during pregnancy.
- Coordination of prenatal screening and testing for fetal abnormalities. This includes risk assessment and counseling, so that you understand your results and choices throughout the screening and testing process.
- Evaluation, diagnosis and counseling for pediatric patients with genetic disorders. This allows best treatment of the child and opens the way for risk assessment of other family members; it may also be possible to estimate recurrence risk in future pregnancies in the family.
- Coordination of care for the range of health problems affecting children with genetic disorders. A cohesive network of services has been established in which the Pediatric Genetics Clinic refers its patients to specialists throughout the hospital.
- In-house consultation for patients in West's Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
For a more detailed explanation of services offered in conjunction with the Division of Genetics, please click on Services from the menu at the top of this page.